We finally decided to use this one for our Christmas card.
Check out my dad's cool hat. Can you believe he's 52? He's diligent about maintaining his youthful appearance.
Andrew, our reindeer friend, and me.
We went to the Avenue of the Peninsula outdoor mall to take some pictures for our family Christmas card. We didn't exactly decorate the house for the Christmas season this year, so we had to find a cheerful, holiday scene elsewhere. I like the cool reindeer they have sitting on the benches throughout the mall.
This year we decided not to get a Christmas tree, opting to bring our 25-year old ficus tree inside as a substitute. I recently learned that my parents bought this ficus tree when they moved into their first house in Gardena, where I grew up. I remember my mom scolding Allison and me for tearing off its leaves to make our backyard "soup" for the chickens.
It was difficult to refrain from buying a fresh tree, but I decided that we're usually so busy with finishing up the fall semester that we hardly have enough time to put into decorating. I was considering purchasing a plastic tree that I could reuse year after year. However, after some research I decided against it because (1) many fake Christmas trees contain PVC, and plastic is of course, a petroleum byproduct, and (2) they don't have that fresh Christmas tree smell.
In the course of my research I came across a new trend in the Christmas tree industry: renting. Some companies will dig up a tree, roots and all, plant it in a pot, and deliver it to your house for the holiday season. When the season is over, they'll come back for the tree, bring it back to their farm, and re-plant it so that it can continue sucking up carbon dioxide and supporting local ecosystems for another year until the holidays come around again. How cool is that?
But for now, our family ficus tree will suffice.
No comments:
Post a Comment